i2b2 - A Tool that Helps You to Plan Clinical Studies
A Self-Service Cohort Discovery Tool
- Quick way to find out how many patients in the Keck and/or CHLA electronic health record(s) meet your study criteria
- Upon IRB approval, request contact information for the potential participants of your i2b2 query
- Note: No protected health information is provided by i2b2.
To request an i2b2 account or to get training
Email the support team firstname.lastname@example.orgCall 323-442-0217 (9-5pm Monday-Friday)
Data Elements and Code Sets available in i2b2
- Laboratory results
- Inpatient Medication Orders
- Demographics: Age, race, gender, vital status
- Visits: Dates, Encounter Type
Example Questions You Can Answer using i2b2
- What are the gender, race, and age breakdown of USC and CHLA patients with diabetes?
- What's the number of male patients with a diagnosis of HIV between January 2015 and February 2016?
- How many cancer patients completed an encounter at USC or CHLA?
- How many patients with congenital heart defects who were seen at CHLA are now being followed at Keck?
- How many patients with childhood cancers are now being followed at Norris?
Thanks to the Health Information Technology teams at Keck Medicine of USC and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and the SC CTSI Clinical Research Informatics team for implementing the i2b2 tool.
Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside (i2b2) is an NIH-funded National Center for Biomedical Computing (NCBC) based at Partners HealthCare System in Boston, Mass. This platform currently enjoys wide international adoption by the CTSA network, academic health centers, and industry. Learn more