Clinical Research Support
Two centralized Clinical Research Support offices at CHLA and USC provide access to advice and assistance for developing, activating, conducting and reporting clinical research studies and clinical trials.
Hover over the image to get more information or contact the research navigator Diana Palma
Expert central resource who critically evaluates the needs of clinical research teams, guides them through the various stages of carrying out a clinical study, and connects them with many resources available across USC.
Budgeting and Contracting
Provides guidance on preparation of study budgets and potential sources of funding.
Experienced fee-for-service clinical research coordinators who can provide a range of study-related services ranging from regulatory document preparation, participant recruitment, data collection, and study monitoring.
Advantages to using our CRS Study Coordinator services:
- Flexibility: Instead of committing to permanent staff, departments can hire our Study Coordinators for short-term needs. Our Study Coordinators can be hired part time to cover for projects that do not require full FTE.
- Availability: Our Study Coordinators can be available immediately, saving the department the time and effort needed for job posting, recruiting and hiring permanent staff, which can take at least 2-3 months.
- High quality: Our Study Coordinators are well trained, have the appropriate credentials, and are experienced with the USC clinical research environment and regulatory procedures. They are adaptable and experienced in different disciplines.
- No administrative hassle: All HR, management and credentialing requirements are handled and maintained by the Clinical Research Support team.
Recharge model options:
- Effort: This is the most frequently used model. There is a minimum commitment of 30% effort and a 6-month timeframe required for this effort-based option.
- Hourly: This is the less frequently used option. The hourly rate option does not require a minimum commitment and is primarily for very short-term needs (e.g. covering for Study Coordinators out on leave). Investigators will only pay for the hours worked (This does not include vacation or sick leave).
These rates are partially subsidized by SC CTSI. Please contact Diana Palma for specific rates.
Clinical Trials Units
Supports complex, high-risk trials and provides ad hoc services such as blood sample acquisition and processing.
We ensure the highest quality in study design and conduct. Having modern infrastructure, well trained and supervised research staff, quality control processes, and experienced laboratory staff, we provide an ideal environment for the successful administration of human studies. Quality, efficiency, and compliance with local and federal regulations are amongst our core principles. Make us part of your research team as early as possible, even before having a final or approved protocol. Our goal is to be of service and facilitate research trials, so give us a call and we’ll get you started! View the chargemaster for more detail >>
Already familiar with our services? Ready to submit a CTU application?
Explore Our Locations
We have two convenient locations:
Discover Our Services
State-of-the-art space for the conduct of early phase (drug development) and complex mechanistic trials
- Outpatient and Inpatient research space
- Research-trained staff, including research nurses, study coordinators, phlebotomists, radiology technician
- Specimen processing and handling laboratory on site
- Dexa scan, EKG, infusion equipment, serial pK and pD sample procurement and processing, neurologic and bionutrition evaluations, metabolic testing
- Select and tailored assay development and performance
- Secure and limited access investigational product storage area
- Convenient and complimentary parking for research participants
- Letter of support and preliminary budget for CTU-related services for grant applications
Design and feasibility consultation meetings
- Meeting includes representation from CTU staff, clinical research expert(s), biostatistics, and informatics
- Aim is to provide assistance with study design, feasibility and operational assessment, and protocol development
- Data Safety and Monitoring Plan development assistance
- Networking opportunities
- Limited study coordinator and data management services for junior investigators or investigators with limited departmental resources
View Examples of CTU Usage by Investigators
- Study participants present to CTU on specific days, for serial pK and pD sample procurement, or serial safety evaluations
- Complete study conduct at CTU, including assistance with subject recruitment, eligibility work-up, study enrollment, serial visits, and completion of Case Report Forms
- Processing of biospecimens obtained from research participants outside the CTU
Provides expertise, tools, and resources to develop recruitment strategies, including strategies to engage special populations in research.
Biostatistics and Study Design
Supports study design, data collection and management, and data analysis. Request a consultation.
Assists with developing regulatory strategies for FDA approval (such as IND/IDE applications), monitoring and reporting study progress and data quality.
For more information on any of these services, contact the research navigator, Diana Palma
See CHLA’s Clinical Research Support Office website for services available to investigators at that location.