Associate Director of Clinical and Translational Research Education Programs
The Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute (SC CTSI) supports clinical and translational research and is part of a broad national network of over 60 institutions with Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSAs) from the National Institutes of Health that work to translate research into better health. We are seeking an Associate Director of Clinical and Translational Research Education Programs to join the SC CTSI Workforce Development Core and Mentored Career Development in Clinical Translational Science (MCD-CTS/KL2) Training Program to lead the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of SC CTSI education programs and resources.
The Associate Director of Clinical and Translational Research Education Programs will collaborate with SC CTSI leaders, core groups and institutional partners to identify learning needs, select appropriate instructional approaches and best practices that foster effective learning, apply and implement learning principles in clinical and community settings, and evaluate and improve outcomes for all SC CTSI educational activities. This expert will oversee the SC CTSI Educational Resource Center (ERC), e-learning initiatives and ERC webinar series, and support overall education program administration and evaluation.
Percent of Time
50% Instructional Design and Implementation
- Direct the Educational Resource Center, a centralized education resource to support educational iniatives from SC CTSI core groups that ensures quality, efficiency and impact of SC CTSI education and training offerings through prioritization, integration, standardization, evaluation and dissemination locally and nationally
- Collaborate with SC CTSI core groups and institutional partners to design the structure of SC CTSI education programs including online, face-to-face, and/or blended courses
- Support SC CTSI groups in selecting, implementing and applying different learning principles and best practices in SC CTSI education offerings.
- Translate learning outcomes into appropriate learning activities and assessments.
- Employ a variety of learning methods and emerging technologies to reach learning outcomes and increase learner engagement
- Create and revise existing course design documents and/or related material to meet the requirements of faculty and/or staff.
- Maintain current innovations, strategies and trends in educational research
- Research and review courses and programs developed by other institutions and organizations. Make recomendations for development of instructional design strategies based on findings and drive implementation.
- Facilitate professional learning experiences for SC CTSI and clinical research faculty and staff
- Develop and maintain electronic databases that contain information on learning outcomes, learning activities, reading and course structures
- Promote resources to end users
- Provide instructional design consultations to other KSOM faculty who are incorporating clinical translational research or clinical translational science in their lectures
20% eLearning Design ERC Webinar Series
- Design, develop, and manage SC CTSI online learning resources and online education library
- Apply effective and interactive eLearning instructional design and learner motivation
- Leverage eLearning tools and trends to engage the remote learner
- Ensure that instructional experiences are learner-centered to foster higher-order thinking through real-world connections and substantive communications that result in an increase in the depth of knowledge
- Apply the principles of effective eLearning design and navigation
- Evaluate eLearning programs and making recommendations for improvements
- Provide instructional design lectures or find expert speakers, organize, and market the Educational Resource Center Webinar series.
15% Program Evaluation and Administration
- Plan, collect and analyze data to assess progress and impact of SC CTSI educational offerings and online educational library videos (i.e., clicks, likes etc), in partnership with the Evaluation & Improvement team
- Collaborate with the Evaluation & Improvement team to develop survey tools/instruments to effectively evaluate the impact of and specific outcomes from unique educational activities using surveys and data collection tools such as REDCap
- Report on educational outcomes and use data and feedback to drive future improvements
- Publish high-quality resources and publications on SC CTSI’s online educational repository or elsewhere.
- Coordinatate with stakeholders to manage finances and resources required to facilitate education activities
- As the ERC grows, potentially manage other ERC administrative staff.
15% Publications and Editing
- Support WD grant writing and publication activities; provide expertise and written resources and serving as peer editor for learning activities
- Collaborating as a member of the writing team to disseminate research findings through scholarly publications or presentations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Instructional Design Processes, Instructional Theories, and Learning Principles
- Knowledge of How to Organize Information for the Learner
- Experience with education program evaluation and analysis
- Communication – effective writing and oral skills
- Conceptualization and design
- Consult and advise subject matter experts on educational principles and design and curriculum development
- Interpretation of polices/analyses/trends/etc
- Project Management/Planning/Time Management skills
- Management/Lead/Guidance Skills
- Active Listening Skills
- Public Speaking and presentations
- Visualization Skills
- Creative & Analytic Problem-Solving Skills
- Technology Skills
- Innovation & Creativity
- People Skills
- Aplomb (level-headedness or poised in demanding situations)
Education, Training & Experience:
- Masters Degree in Education
- PhD in Education
- 5+ years experience directly related experience in instructional design, curriculum development, and educational evaluation for classroom courses and on-line teaching
- 3-5 years experience directly related experience in curriculum development, instructional design courses and on-line teaching with specific expertise in research.