Vouchers of up to $3,000 are offered by the SC CTSI to purchase services and/or access core resources to generate new data for development of clinical and/or community research projects. Vouchers may be used to:
- Add new data collection to an existing (“parent”) clinical or community project to develop new research that is distinct from the aims of parent project.
- Collect information de novo, outside the context of an existing project, to support development of new clinical and/or community research.
Examples of allowable uses
- Research support services offered through the SC CTSI (www.sc-ctsi.org)
- Research core services offered more broadly at USC and CHLA - see examples:
- Measurements performed by outside reference labs that are already USC or CHLA vendors
- Collection of data through questionnaires or mobile health devices
*Note: we will not accept purchases of hardware and costs to compensate hired staff for the research study
A single PDF file should be assembled including the following information. Use Arial font, 11 pt; margins a minimum of 0.5 inch; no appendices; include page numbers; include header with PI last name and brief title.
Maximum 2 pages, single spaced. Include the following sections:
- Section 1: Background and Aims (0.5 page) – For all proposals, provide brief background and rationale. In addition, provide the specific aims of the project for which you are seeking voucher funding. If the project involves collecting new data to an existing (“parent”) project , please state how the data to be collected represent a new area of research and is distinct from the original aims of the parent project.
- Section 2: Data Collection Methods (1 page) - Description of the information to be collected and methods for collecting and analyzing it.
- Section 3: Plan for developing new research direction (0.5 page) - Provide specific plans for using the data to develop new research direction. This should be more than just a plan to submit a research grant. It should describe how the data will support such an application (e.g., to demonstrate feasibility, plausibility, variability) of a new concept or direction.
Attachment of parent project description
If the proposal is an extension of an existing parent project (when applicable), please attach the study description or protocol for the parent project (no word limit).
Use the Required PHS 398 Budget Form (download HERE) with your application. The budget should be $3,000 maximum with only listings of direct costs covered by CTSI. Cost sharing and attempts to raise funds from other sources are encouraged. Download an example budget HERE.
Maximum 1 page. Justify all costs fully. Provide detailed information for all requested items.
Maximum 1/2 page
**For award recipients applying for a continuation of a voucher from a prior fiscal year, please indicate how you have utilized the funds from your prior voucher award to further your research (300 word limit). **
Rolling application. Funding is available for successful applications beginning on or after August 1st.
Progress Report Requirement
Per SC CTSI and NIH requirements, you will be expected to respond to an annual survey administered by the SC CTSI for three consecutive years. The required survey, which will be issued each fall starting one fiscal year after receipt of funds, will collect information related to following voucher award outcomes, (1) new publications, (2) new extramural funding, (3) new IRB protocols, (4) new patents, (5) new therapeutic, diagnostic, and/or medical interventions, (6) new behavioral or community interventions, (7) changes in access to care, (8) changes in standards of care, (9) changes to health policy, (10) new internal collaborations, (11) new external collaborations, and (12) accomplishments.
If awarded a voucher, all funds will need to be spent within 12 months of account establishment.
Full-time faculty members at USC and CHLA are eligible to apply. Investigators are limited to one voucher award per fiscal year.