The Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute is seeking applications for team building activities of up to $5,000 each from small research teams. This mechanism is intended to provide rapid funding for activities that promote the SC CTSI goal of assembling new multidisciplinary or transdisciplinary teams focused on clinical and community research, particularly those that are grounded in the science of team science principles. Examples include, but are not limited to:
Conference/workshops/seminars: Highest priority will be given to topics and formats that are focused on strategies for building new collaborations between individuals and/or groups from diverse disciplines and/or which apply team science principles. Registration must be broadly available to the SC CTSI affiliated community. The proposals should provide a proposed agenda, list of participants and the anticipated location. The contributions of the SC CTSI must be recognized in all meeting promotions.
New team development: Highest priority will be given to activities focused on development of new research partnerships across disciplines (brainstorming to engage specialists from different disciplines to address clinical and community research questions, landscape analysis, white paper development). Proposals should describe how the activities will be focused on building a successful collaborative, multidisciplinary or transdisciplinary team capable of moving forward in a new research direction and securing new research funding.
Exploration of virtual team platforms: Highest priority will be given to research teams exploring different facets of virtual team environments and/or communication platforms, to enhance the productivity of teams. Proposals should describe how the effective virtual team platform will be adopted and incorporated across a multidisciplinary or transdisciplinary research team, and its utility evaluated at the conclusion of the project.
Preference and highest priority will be given to projects that demonstrate a clear path for new engagement of individuals from diverse backgrounds and disciplines in addressing challenges in clinical and community research. Proposals will be evaluated administratively on a rolling basis, with funding available for successful applications within 4 weeks of submission.
- Full-time faculty members at USC and CHLA as of the date of the award are eligible to apply as PI.
- Postdocs, residents, fellows, students, and community members can serve as co-PIs.
Investigators may only submit one application in which they are listed as PI or Co-PI. However, a PI can be on more than one grant if he/she is listed as a co-investigator.
- Arial font, 11pt
- Margins: minimum 0.5 inch
- No appendices
- Include page numbers and table of contents
Please include one PDF file including the following information:
Research Proposal (maximum 2 pages including any literature reference including
- Objectives including a rationale for how the event or activity will promote team building
- Activity Details including any anticipated agenda, schedule, speakers and venue (if applicable and note if confirmed);
- Target Audience/Collaborators including a brief description of the expected outcome and defined next steps as well as a description of the methods that will be used to assess impact
- Future Directions of the proposed work
- Budget ($5,000 maximum) Use the Required PHS 398 Budget Form, Page 4 or download the budget form HERE. Award expenditures must comply with the NIH Grants Policy Statement and the Uniform Guidance OMB A-81. Indirect costs are not allowed, including sub-contracts funded by SC CTSI pilot awards. Cost sharing and attempts to raise funds from other sources are encouraged.
- Budget Justification Justify all costs fully. Provide detailed information for all requested items.
- NIH Biosketch of Principal Investigators (4 page max for each individual)
- Letters of Support(s) Letters confirming access to other resources. Matching funding may be included here.
Rolling application, funding available for successful applications within 4 weeks.
Submit Your Application here