job requisition id REQ20143822
Join our Administration Team as the Budget/Business Analyst!
Institute and Team at USC:
USC is an award-winning workplace that offers a diverse community and values work/life balance.
The Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute (SC CTSI) is a research organization at the University of Southern California (USC) and Children’s’ Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA). Our mission is to support, promote and accelerate scientific discoveries and their application in real-life settings to improve health in diverse populations. SC CTSI develops and provides resources, services, training and tools in support of researchers, academic leadership and partners that collaborate to achieve this exciting mission.
The SC CTSI Administration team at USC is responsible for the operations, finance, and human resource functions within the Institute. The team supports and ensures SC CTSI faculty, staff and stakeholders (e.g. collaborators, students, visitors, vendors, etc.) have the resources and information needed to serve the research communities.
Under the direction of the Financial Reporting/Projects Manager, the Budget/Business Analyst will support SC CTSI teams with various budget, finance, payroll and administrative functions. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the areas below. Special projects and other duties as requested or assigned.
- Supports purchasing activities for SC CTSI. Assists faculty and staff in answering questions and processing financial transactions such as purchasing supplies, arranging travel and processing reimbursements.
- Processes department purchase orders, invoice payments, procurement card purchases, travel card purchases, internal service deliveries and consultant payments.
- Commuting, when needed, to conduct in-store purchases for gift cards and supplies – Mileage reimbursement provided.
- Interfaces with purchasing, external vendors and accounts payable to verify prices and resolve discrepancies.
- Coordinates travel arrangements (flight and hotel reservations and meeting registrations) and processes travel and non-travel reimbursements.
- Processes workday procurement card allocations and cost transfers.
- Completes weekly data entry of expense transactions to internal department database
- Maintains and reconciles internal department electronic filing system.
- Tracks equipment purchases, contract end dates, and maintains employee inventory log.
Payroll & Billing Support
- Processes recharge billing, including preparing and distributing monthly invoices, recording payments in billing platform and internal database, processing payments in USC’s FBS billing system, following up on past due invoices and resolving discrepancies.
- Process payroll accounting adjustments, department pay authorizations, and updates workday costing allocations
Grant Administration Support
- Assist with grant end and fiscal year-end closing reviews and process financial transfers as needed
- Assist with annual agency progress reports, including budgets, justifications, personnel reports, other support and biosketches.
- Assists with budget preparation for grant proposals, including gathering information and assisting with budget projections and budget justifications.
- Assist with proposal submission via USC’s Cayuse system and ensuring timely submission to agency
- Creates subaward contracts in workday, processes invoices and tracks expenditures and compliance.
- Reviews, revises and submits quarterly effort certifications including interfacing with USC departments and the office of financial analysis as needed to clear any discrepancies.
- Acts as liaison among researchers, Office of Contracts and Grants, Sponsored Projects Accounting, and other interested university offices.
Budget & Finance Support
- Assists in planning of short- and long-term budgets by compiling and organizing data for use in forecasts.
- Monitors account activity and balances to ensure adherence to university, agency and department restrictions
- Prepares and distributes monthly financial reports for programs, pilot awards and training grants.
- Assist with the ad-hoc preparation of financial reports for submission to funding agency, programs and CTSI leadership
- Interpret and disseminate new policies and procedures and advises faculty, researchers and staff regarding agency requirements and regulations.
- Review and update CTSI Finance Standard Operating Procedures (SPO) and reference guides.
- Ensures confidentiality and controls access to sensitive information such as faculty or staff personnel files.
- Troubleshoots problems, including research of pertinent facts and interacts with appropriate university staff to achieve resolution.
Administrative & Operations Support
- Performs administrative duties including answering phone and in-person requests, assisting with xerox machine issues, accepting deliveries, assisting SC CTSI guests, providing parking passes and map to visitors.
- Assist SC CTSI teams with IT needs and requests. Including purchasing equipment and coordinating set up/deployment with Keck IT when needed.
- Maintain and organize office supplies and coffee/break area, restock items as needed.
- Assist with coordinating meetings and events as needed. Supports the quarterly events, celebrations, meetings; set-up and clean-up; catering and décor, etc. Request meeting permits when needed.
- Assists with scheduling meetings for Senior Director of Operations and Finance
- Coordinates space and office related requests with USC Facilities Management and other central offices.
- When necessary, serves as backup to the Human Resources and Operations Coordinator
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at anytime.
The hourly rate range for this position is $34.43 - $36.54. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 1 year
Minimum Field of Expertise: Business administration, accounting or related degree and budget experience including knowledge of government and fund accounting. Strong computer skills with use of automated spreadsheets.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: