Community Engaged Research
Collaborative partnerships offer substantial benefits for both researchers and the Southern California metropolis we serve. For researchers and communities, engaged research can:
- Speed discovery of innovative solutions to pressing, difficult community health problems.
- Speed translation of research into meaningful health improvements – in our neighborhoods, Los Angeles overall, Southern California and other densely populated areas worldwide.
- Boost relevance of research questions, data and programs by creating and implementing them jointly with individuals and communities directly affected by a disease.
- Help researchers understand not only what a community’s health needs are, but what medical resources and other assets are available – or lacking.
- Help researchers understand the sustainability, dissemination, replication, and policy impact of
- Offer a learning opportunity for everyone involved.
- Researchers may be more able to recognize a community’s most urgent health needs, and to better understand how certain policies affect individuals and families.
- Community members may be more supportive of a research effort when they fully understand, and are thoughtfully engaged with, its goals, processes and implications.