- Recruitment and retention: Importance of recruitment: to meet the enrollment and recruitment goals without delaying the budget and preventing protocol barriers.
- Combating the recruitment issues: educating the public and creating awareness.
- Planning for effective recruitment
- Identify barriers to participation
- Be culturally competent and appropriate
- Establishing trust
- Utilize community liaisons
- Understandable messages and a clear ‘call to action’
- Frequent checks and active listening the participants
- Testing messages and content qualitatively
- Traditional and innovative methods
- For population without reliable social media and elder population: flyers, billboards, newspaper ads, radio, bus advertising and direct mails.
- For younger population: Social media, patient advocacy websites, Craigslist, Reddit, USC clinical Studies Directory landing page, clinical connections and third party services.
- SC CTSI Recruitment support
- Aid to plan the study, recruit people, provide communication strategies by free consultation, additional free support (10 to 15 hours), design of advertising and community based efforts.
Nicki K. Apaydin, PhD
Associate Director of Communications